Sunday, June 23, 2013

DINING IN DURHAM: KALE CHIPS


One of those fun Pinterest recipes that I kept seeing over and over again was kale chips! I had heard mixed reviews about kale as a vegetable, being known for being rather bitter, but I am definitely into trying new things this summer, and always appreciate ways to get more vegetables into my diet.


I used this tutorial generally but substituted some of the spices! Instead of just garlic powder, I used a combination of garlic and Adobo powder, which has some other spices in it as well that are really delicious.

Ingredients:
1 head of kale
1 tbsp Adobo powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Tear or cut up your kale into large bite-sized pieces, cutting away from the stems. Make sure that your kale is very dry so that it will crisp. In a large Ziplock bag, add the olive oil and your spices. Next add the kale and "smoosh" the kale around in the bag to make sure that every piece is evenly coated. On a cookie sheet lay out your pieces of kale so that none of the pieces are touching (I had to use two sheets). Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes and enjoy!

Overall, I liked the flavor of the chips and they came out really crispy! Next time I think I will cut the pieces a little bit smaller to avoid the stems, which are particularly bitter. I also didn't have parchment paper on hand but greased the cookie sheet with non-stick spray, and the flavor got into the chips a tiny bit. So I would recommend the parchment paper for sure.

What are some of your healthy go-to snacks? Have you ever made kale chips before?

Happy weekend, I'm off to spend some time at the gym!

xoxo. Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me feel like Miss America!