Wednesday, June 12, 2013

THERE IS NO "NORMAL"

This week, as you guys may know, I have been in Chapel Hill with Brandon, continuing the job hunt and figuring out some logistical things that are still really up in the air. It's been really sweet time, and a pretty great visit in terms of time we've gotten to spend together. As I was writing an email to someone on Monday, I found myself writing "there is no such thing as 'normal' for me nowadays". And it is so true. And it is so exhausting. But it is also ok. Maybe this post is just a way of convincing myself of that fact, but it is. Because I got to do some pretty awesome stuff this week.


I did some freehand stitching! So far in my embroidery adventures I've only used patterns, but I loved how this one turned out, and I loved this little reminder.


I made a friend.


I played with a sweet (and much better trained!) Maggie when Brandon and I went home to Charlotte for his brother's 14th birthday party. I also realized how rusty my Spanish is when I met his abuela and little cousin from Puerto Rico. Note to self: work on that. 


I made kale chips! This had been on my list of things to try for at least a semester and I finally did it! Full reviews and notes on the recipe in a later post. 


Brandon bought me a new cookbook! This weekend we agreed that we really wanted to start eating healthier, so this was a great first step. It's Rocco Dispirito's Now Eat This! cookbook, and the shrimp tomatillo tostadas we made on Monday night were DELICIOUS. 

If you follow me on Instagram, you may know that Brandon started working at a very fancy French restaurant in Chapel Hill this summer called One. It's been really fun to learn lots of new things from how they prepare their food and last night we used his employee discount (woop woop!) to meet up with a friend and try it for ourselves. 


First course: Smoked Oyster Bisque with Pork Belly
Second course: Grilled Hudson Valley Duck Breast with Foie Gras and Orange
Third course: Milk Chocolate and Chili Mousse Tart

I could not describe these dishes with justice if I tried, so I'll just refer you to their menu to see for yourself what an amazing meal it was. And of course, any night with this guy is going to be awesome, that's pretty much guaranteed. :)


Tomorrow I fly back home and on Monday I get to see one of my best friends from school. Even though right now there is no such thing as "normal", it is definitely ok. 

Lots of love on my last night in Durham (for a little bit),

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me feel like Miss America!