Thursday, July 11, 2013

broiled green figs + goat cheese and honey


This week, and every week since he has started work, Brandon has been working a lot of nights, leaving me to fend for dinners for myself. Cooking dinners for just one person can be kind of awkward the way that most recipes are portioned, and so I have started getting creative. I also now live less than ten minutes away from a Trader Joe's, which makes me way more happy than I can even describe, and the marriage of these two circumstances creates this wonderful and simple dessert.

Green figs are slightly less sweet than their more common, black fig brothers, but broiling them brings out a lot of their natural sweetness! The crumbly goat cheese adds a wonderful tart counterpart to the honey. It's magic on a plate, people. And it takes about 10 minutes to put together, so it makes a simple and elegant dessert for more complex dishes or, like me, a dinner that needs a little luxury.

Green Figs, Goat Cheese and Honey

Serves one/ Total time: 10 minutes

6 green figs, halved
2 oz. crumbled goat cheese
2 tbsp. orange blossom honey*

Preheat your oven's broiler to high and adjust the oven rack to its highest notch. On a baking sheet, layout fig halves and crumble your goat cheese on top. (You can do this on aluminum foil for easy clean up.) Place the baking sheet on the top rack and broil until figs are softened and goat cheese has lightly browned and slightly melted, about 5 minutes. Immediately remove from oven and transfer to a plate. Drizzle with honey and serve while warm.

*Orange blossom honey may be substituted for clover honey, but I love the stronger flavor of the orange blossom in this recipe.


You won't regret it!

Happy dining,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me feel like Miss America!