Saturday, September 21, 2013

life of pies


A few weeks ago, I had a craving for pie. Pies are by far my favorite dessert, to be sure, and there's just something wholesome and satisfying about pulling a pie out of the oven. So I went a little crazy, and had pie for dinner too, as quiche!

If you do not currently own a cookbook by Mollie Katzen, you are missing out, dear friend. My two favorites of hers are the Moosewood Cookbook and The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. I always have so much respect, as a former vegetarian, for cooks who can make delicious meals where you don't even miss the meat. I recently also made the Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie from TEBF and it was equally as amazing.


The basic, easy formula for quiche is this (according to Mollie):

1. Get yourself a delicious crust
2. Spread/sprinkle/layer a bunch of cheese on the bottom to act as a moisture barrier for your eggs
3. Add herbs and veggies (I used oregano, thyme, spinach, mushrooms and cheated with some tiny pancetta cubes. Worth it).
4. Add egg mixture overtop of everything
5. Bake!

For exact recipes for these quiche and the apple custard pie at the top, I definitely encourage you to check out Mollie Katzen. Going into pie season (aka fall, duh), you will be happy you did.

What kind of flavor combinations will you try in your quiche?

lots of love,

Abby

(P.S. - Mollie Katzen did not sponsor this post. She is just that amazing)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me feel like Miss America!