Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Good Dinner

An adventure this season has been learning how to cook for myself. It's something every girl in her twenties probably goes through at some point or another (unless you're my roommate and you insist that dinner is much easier and better for you from a box :) ) and it is something I am finding a lot of joy in! I love being in control of what I make for myself and having a real kitchen to cook in for the first time in three years (go dorms).

Last summer Brandon had me over to his house for a dinner with his housemates, and one of his roommates made a chickpea stew that I thought was just amazing. While I haven't plucked up the courage to email him and ask him for the recipe myself, I have found that this dish, a spin-off version, is so simple and easy and is good for at least two, if not three, meals in a week. And with a schedule like mine, I'll take it!



Chickpea Stew

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can petite diced tomatoes
2 cups spinach
1 tsp cayenne pepper (or more to your liking)
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp cumin

Combine chickpeas and tomatoes in a large skillet over medium heat. When the tomato sauce begins to boil, add spices and turn down to a simmer. Cook until the chickpeas are soft, about 10-15 minutes. If you would like more sauce, you can add half a can of water to the stew halfway through. Add spinach last, combining and allowing to wilt for 1-2 minutes before removing from heat.

Serve over rice.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me feel like Miss America!