Thursday, August 22, 2013

crockpot "husband" beef stew



Every time I use my crockpot, I can't believe that I don't use it more often. A serious thought went through my head as I was eating the other night that I should give it a hug. This is while I was home alone by myself though, as a disclaimer. And sometimes when I'm home alone in my apartment things get weird.


Anyways! This stew. You guys. It was roughly adapted from a recipe I found here, and I was super nervous putting it together that all of the little tweaks I had made to it were going to be weird. BUT OH MAN. This stew gets its name because my roommate walks in, eats a bowl and exclaims, "You have to teach me how to make this so I can get a husband." (Jokes on jokes, do you see any husbands in this apartment?)


There is something really magical about beef that gets so happy and tender from being cooked in broth for eight hours straight. There is also something magical about my crockpot's "Keep warm" feature which doesn't keep my longer-than-I-would-like-but-it's-ok-because-I-listen-to-NPR commute from allowing me to enjoy my stew hot even though the timer ended two hours before. But I digress.

Crockpot "Husband" Beef Stew

**Note: Use organic ingredients whenever possible. I used organic beef, tomatoes, beef stock and carrots in this recipe and I am starting to believe that they make a huge difference in flavor!

1.5 lbs stew meat
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
4 medium carrots, chopped
1.5 lbs yellow potatoes, chopped
2 cups beef stock
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
2 bay leaves
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
a generous shaking of Italian seasoning

Combine all ingredients except for beef stock in a gallon-sized zip lock bag. Freeze. When you're ready to make the stew (aka the next morning) take the bag out of the freezer, dump into your crockpot and pour the beef stock over. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. If possible, stir a few times throughout the day to make sure the flavors are distributing evenly, but don't stress if you can't.

Bon appetit! I know that this recipe is going to be amazing this fall! I can't wait!

xoxo. Abby





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me feel like Miss America!